Bacon Wrapped Smoked Meatloaf Pinwheel
1lb ground beef
1 large carrot, grated
3/4 cup bread crumbs
2 tbsp. Grilling Gods Steak & Bake
About 2 tbsp. Grilling Gods Sweet Backyard BBQ
1. Add the grated carrot, bread crumbs, egg, Grilling Gods Steak & Bake rub and ground beef to a large bowl.
Mix the meatloaf with your hands and set aside.
2. Cook the bacon.
Preheat your oven to 400° F.
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Lay the bacon slices on the baking sheet and sprinkle some Sweet Backyard BBQ rub all over the bacon strips.
Cook the bacon for 10-12 minutes (the bacon will cook more while its in the smoker.)
3. Wrap the meatloaf with the cooked "bacon weave". See below for instructions to make the weave.
Lay 8 strips of bacon vertically on a clean surface, flush against each other. The width should match the length of the strips.
Fold every other strip in half onto itself. Lay one strip of bacon perpendicular to those strips, flush against the back of the folds. Unfold those flipped strips back over the perpendicular strip of bacon.
Now fold every other strip in the alternating columns. Lay one strip of bacon perpendicular to those strips, flush against the back of the folds. Unfold those strips back down over the perpendicular strip of bacon.
Repeat again with the first set of strips. Do the same thing on the upper half of the weave. There should be the same number of strips going down as there are going across.
(You can do this without cooking the bacon first but if you like crispy bacon throughout the meatloaf pinwheel then we suggest cooking the bacon before making the wrap and adding it to the meatloaf)
4. Preheat your grill or smoker to 275 degrees.
5. Spoon the meatloaf mixture evenly over the bacon weave leaving 1/2 inch blank border around the edges of the bacon weave. Slowly roll it into the meatloaf pinwheel.
6. Then sprinkle more Sweet Backyard BBQ rub over all sides of the meatloaf.
7. Place into your smoker and smoke for about 3.5 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 160°F
8. Once removed from smoker let rest 5 minutes and cut into 1.5 inch slices, serve immediately